Loading...

Reflective Essay on Globalization and Sustainability

 Reflective Essay

One thing I have learnt about companies today is that they are focused on sustainability. As a result of increased globalization and internationalization of firms, companies are forced to compete not just with their local rivals but also with the international brands that are coming into their markets. Therefore, they now focus on ways to ensure continued revenue and profitability, thus cycling all around the sustainability of their brands.

However, I am still somewhat confused about how companies can create sustainability. Although I view it as a crucial determinant of the success of any given company, it is still confusing to me in terms of its application. Therefore, any opportunity to learn about how companies can create sustainability is always a welcome one for me. This is the main reason why I took a keen interest in lean manufacturing once the course was introduced to me.

To add to this, I was paired with one of the most resounding group members I have ever had in my academic life. It is important to point out a number of factors that make them resounding to me, which include: 1) understanding, 2) vast experience with respect to lean manufacturing practices, 3) encouraging, and 4) accommodating. I consider them to be understanding because there have been a number of times I failed to meet my assigned part of the work and they understood me, giving me the necessary room to complete the work. They also came from different manufacturing industries, with vast experience in lean manufacturing, and this made the experience overwhelming. In cases where I seemed to be drifting from focus, they were quick to encourage me and they stood by my side throughout the entire work. They were accommodating because they shared their resources with me, helping me complete the work at ease. Basically, they made the work easier for me, and I am convinced I turned out quality work because of their continuous support.

In terms of the work, it was divided into different parts, and we had a role to play in the other parts that were not assigned to us. I had to complete the part assigned to me entirely on my own, referencing the works of others as we progressed, and I had the responsibility of critiquing it, offering new ideas where necessary, and contributing to the overall quality of work we produced.We also had different meetings to discuss progress and set new benchmarks towards completion. One unique thing (that is to say, I personally view it as unique) about this group is that we understood the fact that we were not always together, and the group leader created a virtual (whatsapp) group where we could meet 24/7. In this WhatsApp group, we discussed different issues pertaining to the work, like progress we are making, areas we are having difficulty with, and how to improve the work. Another good thing about this group is that the members were all responsive.

In the course of delivering my own part of the work, I faced a number of issues (which my group members also helped me to resolve). The first was locating the appropriate materials to carry out my part of the work effectively and efficiently.My own part was (the second question) to discuss four (4) benefits of visual management in lean manufacturing and how the company leverages it to track the progress of projects and increase visibility. Initially, this was difficult for me to comprehend, and it forced me to read and re-read the case study multiple times before I could actually gain an idea of what the question was asking about. Once done, I initiated my research and discovered that there are different benefits that have been discussed with respect to visual management in lean manufacturing, making it difficult for me to choose only four of those that have been discussed. However, I noticed one thing, which is that there are four benefits that are featured the most, and there is also some research with titles referencing just four benefits. On that note, I decided that the benefits being referenced in this case are JIT, cellular manufacturing, supply chain integration, and Kaizen. Then came the issue of sourcing. Throughout my review, there was no single article that I found that discussed these benefits comprehensively enough the way I wanted them in the same article. The implication was that I had to research the benefits independently before I could deliver the work the way it ought to be. Oh no, I don’t want to discuss the stress and pressure I went through, but I can say they were all worthwhile.

In essence, the whole process was very interesting to me. It allowed me to learn so much about lean manufacturing, its benefits and approaches to successful implementation in the corporate setting. Therefore, I am glad that I had the opportunity to work on this topic and with this group because it expanded my overall understanding of lean manufacturing, how it is implemented, and the challenges and benefits that come with its implementation. The take home from this work is that lean manufacturing helps companies create sustainable competitive advantages by reducing the level of waste being generated in their company as well as improving quality through kaizen. Efficiency and effectiveness are also introduced into the supply chain through integration and cellular manufacturing, making sure that the resources needed for production are always available in the right orders and the consumers always have the products they need when they need them. Thus, I conclude that while the process of this research cannot be said to be entirely easy and straightforward, the opportunity to participate in it has widened my understanding of the subject under review.

Technology 4825042471258531036

Post a Comment

Tell us your mind :)

emo-but-icon

Home item

Popular Posts

Random Posts

Click to read Read more View all said: Related posts Default Comments